Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Truth About "The Truth About Hillary"

It looks like conservative commentators really dislike Ed Klein's new anti-Hillary-Clinton book: The Truth About Hillary. Klein is an apolitical reporter who has held significant positions at the New York Times Magazine and Newsweek. So one would think his reporting and writing would at least be respectable when dealing with a liberal political figure.

But Peggy Noonan--herself an author of an anti-Hillary book--writes: "The book is poorly written, poorly thought, poorly sourced and full of the kind of loaded language that is appropriate to a polemic but not an investigative work." And John Podhoretz--author of an excellent pro-Bush book--writes: "This is one of the most sordid volumes I've ever waded through. Thirty pages into it, I wanted to take a shower. Sixty pages into it, I wanted to be decontaminated. And 200 pages into it, I wanted someone to drive stakes through my eyes so I wouldn't have to suffer through another word." Ouch.

Michelle Malkin has a roundup of reaction from other conservatives.