Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Piper and Keller on Owen

From the speaker panel:

John Piper: "Owen is extraordinary. Owen is simply extraordinary. He is in a class, Packer says, with Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Edwards--that rarefied top 10 thinkers and pastors in the world. John Owen knows the soul, knows Christ, knows communion with Christ like very few others...."

Tim Keller: "I should add: Dr. Lovelace, in his Basic Dynamics course at Gordon-Conwell, made you read On Temptation, and On Mortification. And that's where I discovered [him] in 1972. My wife would tell you--I will also tell you, too--but if she was here she would say I wouldn't be in the ministry--my life would be a shipwreck--if I hadn't read that book. I wouldn't be in the ministry if I hadn't read that book...."

Owen's Overcoming Sin and Temptation comes out in a couple of weeks.