Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mommy Wars

Here is Linda Hirshman, author of Get to Work: A Manifesto for Women of the World, talking about Al Mohler in a recent interview:

He said [concerning Ms. Hirshman], "This woman is the instrumentality of the devil." He lied about what I said, and then he told everybody that I was the end of civilization as we know it.


Dr. Mohler's response qualifies for "quote of the day":

Well, a little truth-telling will help here. I never said that Linda Hirshman 'is the instrumentality of the devil." As a matter of fact, I have not said that of anyone. Then she says that I identified her as "the end of civilization as we know it." She flatters herself. I do believe that her ideas--if taken seriously by many persons--would be the end of civilization as we know it. There would be no one left to care for the children.


Beliefnet.com has published a lengthy interview with Hirshman and a response by Mohler:

Linda Hirshman, On the Frontline of the Mommy Wars
Al Mohler, Women Choose Motherhood