Sunday, August 05, 2007

Thank God for Roger Ohlhausen

Who is Roger Ohlhausen? "One part Obi-Wan Kenobi and one part Gandalf the White, Mr. Ohlhausen is arguably the world's leading authority on rain repellent coatings applied to glass."

We're thankful to be back from vacation. Yesterday we made the trek from Northern Minnesota back to Chicagoland. (Yes, I saw the bridge on our way through Minneapolis. Thanks, brothers, for posting the insightful commentaries by Piper and Mohler.)

About 300 miles from home, it started to rain. And then my windshield wiper on the passenger side suddenly flopped from the windshield onto my passenger window. I instantly couldn't see a thing, so I pulled over on the interstate. I put it back on the windshield, and (of course) it did the same thing a couple of minutes later. The rain continued to come down steadily. It was a Saturday night, starting to get dark, and was one of those moments when I thought what in the world am I going to do?

God was kind. I was able to pull right over to a gas station, and they had the wonder product I was looking for: Rain-X--invented in 1971 by one Roger Ohlhausen. To make a long story short, by smearing the water repellent on my windshield I was able to drive for three hours in steady rain with no windshield wipers!

I really do thank God for his protection and provision. Of course I have no idea whether Mr. Ohlhausen is a believer, but I thank God at least for his common grace in giving him creativity to come up with a great product. And next time you go on a trip, you might want to throw a bottle of Rain-X in the trunk.

(Disclosure: I am not an employee of Rain-X, nor did I receive any monetary or products in exchange for this endorsement--though if any Rain-X folks happens to read this, I will not refuse any complimentary products!)