Tuesday, March 11, 2008

1 in 4 Teens Have an STD?

A new CDC study suggests that at least one in four teenage girls has a sexually transmitted disease. "The study by CDC researcher Dr. Sara Forhan is an analysis of nationally representative data on 838 girls who participated in a 2003-04 government health survey. . . ."

I'd be interested in any comments by anyone with expertise in this area, or in the area of statistics. (If you just have a guess or an opinion, no need to comment.)

I don't want to be naive, but this has just doesn't sound right to me. 1 in 4 have an STD??

I confess that I've been suspicious of teenage sex surveys ever since middle school, when guys in my class were eagerly filling in the bubbles indicating multiple partners when, in reality, they were still trying to get up the nerve to actually go and first talk to a member of the opposite sex.